Redhat Linux 7 on a Win Nt Network

Thomas Cameron archimage at linux-magic.com
Thu May 10 04:36:23 GMT 2001

Hiya Scott -

You may be a wee bit confused.  Samba is actually a SMB/CIFS server.  In
other words, it uses the Server Message Block/Common Internet File
System (protocols used by Microsoft Windows) to share it's filesystems
with other SMB/CIFS machines.  That means that you can run Samba on a
Unix-ish machine, and people at Windows machines will see the Samba box
in the Network Neighborhood.

In order for the Linux box to access a Windows server, you can use
smbmount or smbclient.

Your Red Hat installation should have given you the option to install
Samba pre-compiled packages.  You don't really need to compile Samba
from source.

Run the command 'rpm -q samba' and see what comes back.  Respond to the
list, and you'll get guidance from myself and others.

                      -- Thomas D. Cameron --
   Red Hat Certified Engineer -- TurboLinux Certified Instructor
                 -- Certified NetWare Engineer --
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer -- Microsoft Certified Trainer