Redhat Linux 7 on a Win Nt Network

Hendrickson, Scott A HENDRSA at dshs.wa.gov
Wed May 9 00:24:24 GMT 2001

Hi, my name is Scott.  I am currently testing Linux for my company -we want
to see if we can have Linux workstation(s) on our Microsoft network.  I'm
new to Linux and have so far managed to:
install redhat linux 7 on a Compaq PC (intel III) token ring machine and
configure the gateway to access the internet (through Netscape).
Now, I need to see if I can get this machine talking on the network.  It
seems I need something called Samba to do this.
I followed your directions:
"Now, as root, enter the samba-2.0.7/source directory. After a quick display
of the files, run the configure script with the following command:
./configure
All sorts of funky looking stuff will scroll past your screen, as the
scripts looks for library files and other dependencies. If you happened to
get a error on a required library file, jot down the name and install it."
However, when I execute configure, nothing happens (as far as I can tell
-the screen flashes for a second).
What do I do now?  Is there a good resource tool to help me get on the
network?  Am I missing something obvious?  Does my NT server need to have
something loaded to accept the Linux client machine?  If I do get the Linux
machine configured for the network, how do I browse the network (where's
Linux version of Network Neighborhood)?  If I need to purchase something, I
can probably work that out, we are a state agency : )
Thank you,
Scott Hendrickson
Western State Hospital
Tacoma, WA