Linux setup

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue May 8 06:04:11 GMT 2001

> I am using Mandrake 7.2, and I tried to install Samba 2.2.0 on my computer.
> However, when I use the ./configure command, it will give me this message:
>
> Checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
>
> and then:
>
> no cc in PATH$.
>
> Can you please tell me what this means?
That means that configure can not find a C-compailer. Two
Possibilities: You do not have one installed --> install one. There
should be rpm's vor Mandrake so that this is a easy task. Or you have
problems with your $PATH. try gcc, cc as ordanary user, as root, try
"locate cc | grep bin", an the and try "find / -name '*cc' -print. If
you find a (g)cc add it to your path before running configure.

Hang on:
Does Mandrake use kgcc?! Which is a other C-Compailer. In this case a
"setenv CC kgcc" (or "export CC=kgcc" depending on your shell) before
configure may help. Or link (ln -s ....) gcc to kgcc (which is ugly).

>  I've been trying to log into my
> Win2000 server, and I have been unable to do it.  I can ping all of the
> computers over my network, (50), but I cannot log in to the server.
Not so fast!
After a successfull ./configure, a sucessfull make and a sucessfull
make install, there is to configure samba, start the damons, and
then, finaly: log on, mount shares, .....

Good luck!

Christian