Samba, encrypted passwds and nis (not nis+)

Michael L Torrie torriem at cs.byu.edu
Mon May 7 22:09:20 GMT 2001

I've been scouring the web and have picked up bits and pieces, but nothing
concrete on this issue.

I currently have a samba server that is set up to use NIS from another
server.  What I'd like to do is either a) convert the ypcat password list
into a smbpasswd file or b) just use smbpasswd to create entries for a few
users.  In other words, I want the smbpasswd file to provide passwords for
smb authentication, but have samba use nis to grab the home directory
information.  When I try to create an entry for myself using smbpasswd -a,
it reports that since the user is not in /etc/passwd, it can't create the
encrypted hash entry in smbpasswd file.

So my question is, how to I build/setup samba to use NIS is this method?
I have compiled it with --with-nis.

I also have noticed that with encrypted passwords and I compiled it with
--with-pam, things don't work.  This does make a certain amount of sence
to me.  So with encrypted passwords on there, does pam do anything
useful?

thanks,
Michael