Samba & subnets

Bob Dusek bobd at saintjoe.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:05:41 GMT 2001

Do you have a WINS server setup on the 221 network?

Have you configured your clients on the 211 network to use WINS for name
resolution?

Here, we have two subnets working fine.  The two subnets are:

131.93.253/24
and
131.93.0/17

We're using one SMB domain for all of our logins, let's call it
"OUR_Network".  The PDC for this domain is in the 131.93.0/17 network.
We have a WINS server (131.93.0.59) setup on that network.  And, all of
the "OUR_Network" clients on the 131.93.253/24 network are configured to
use this WINS server (131.93.0.59) for name resolution.

So, when a .253. client tries to login to the network, it is unable to
find the PDC via broadcast, so it hits up the WINS server and everything
works just fine.

Bob