./configure isn't working

Dawn Evans DawnEvans at MaritimeDynamics.com
Wed Mar 14 22:24:49 GMT 2001

I am using "Sams Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" and I'm having some
trouble.  I'm attempting to put Samba on a SGI Octane2 so I copied
samba-latest.tar.gz off the CD that came with my book and did the gzip -dc
samba-latest.tar.gz | tar xvf - command that it told me to use to compile
samba.  That all seemed to go fine so I went to my
/usr/local/samba/src/samba-2.0.3/source directory like it told me to and
typed ./configure.  Well it came back with:

Monster 76# ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this error and make the
./configure command work?  I am pretty new to Unix administration so it
might be something very simple that I'm not doing.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Dawn Evans