smbmount - file permissions on RH7

Dormition Skete dormitionskete at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:50:14 GMT 2001

Greetings in Christ our Saviour.

Thank you very much for the patch, and for the information.

The reason I brought this question forth was because I had thought that it
was interferring with a program that I was evaluating.  I had downloaded an
evaluation version of Win4Lin (www.netraverse.com), which allows you to run
Windows 95 or 98 on Linux.  I know that is not very appealing for most of
us, but the simple fact of the matter is, there simply are not linux native
alternatives for some of the software we need to use.  This offered a
promising way to transition from Win98 to Linux.

One of the problems I was running into was in trying to get our networked
database up and running in Win4Lin.  The db program is one that we developed
in-house, and it uses the Borland Database Engine.  I had originally thought
that the creation of net and lock files was failing because of this chmod
problem.  As it turned out, this was not the case.

I guess I'll just have to live with the chmod error messages for now.  I do
appreciate the patch, but right now I have too much on my plate to look at
trying to learn about modifying kernels.  Since it has turned out that this
was not my Win4Lin problem, I will live with this minor inconvience.

On a positive note:  Win4Lin is nice.  It's fast, it works amazingly well,
and it's very inexpensive (albiet, not free).  I could not run our database
on a vfat drive -- it had to be on an ext2 drive -- but once I moved it, it
worked fine... sort of.  Win4Lin doesn't support TCP/IP networking yet, so
you have to do a winsock kind of networking using NFS.  The edits are not
getting posted to the database tables until you close the program.  Then
they are written.  'Not great for interactive databases.  I have to check
into seeing if we can modify the program to work around this, or look at
other alternatives.

Anyway, that's what started all of this.  Thank you again, very much, for
the information and the patch.

In Christ,

Br. Nicholas

----
Dormition Skete
A Monastery of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece and the Diaspora.
Synod of Metropolitan Kallinikos of Lamia.
http://www.BuenaVistaCO.com/GOC
----