Time out From Win98 to Samba 2.0.7 Share

Matt King mattx at mattxstudios.com
Wed Mar 7 05:14:29 GMT 2001

I have a user (Win98 SE) that will open a file (take for example, a
Quickbooks file) on a Samba share (RH6.2/Samba 2.0.7) and enter stuff into
it.  After a while, it says the connection was lost to the server, and when
they try to open the file again, it says it's locked by the same user.

I checked the log files on the server, and I get connection reset by peer
errors in the workstation's log file.

[2001/03/06 14:05:13, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(477)
read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

This also happens when opening and using any file, including MS Access and
Excel files.  I don't think it's anything the user is doing, at first I
thought the connection was timing out to the server, but it's set to 0 for
dead time (no connection closing), and I put keep alive to 60 seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here's by smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.10.10.51 (10.10.10.51)
# Date: 2001/03/06 15:53:51

# Global parameters