SAMBA Really Slow

Hartmut Koptein koptein at deahn.naffel.yi.org
Sun Mar 4 09:56:00 GMT 2001

> It's been awhile since I posted on this thread because I have been busy with
> other things.  Unfortunately, I don't owe anyone on this list a beer as I am
> still having the problem.  I originally started this thread as a problem
> with MS Visual Foxpro, but I don't think it is an issue with VFP.  The
> problem seems to be that SAMBA is taking a very long time to serve requests
> for file information.
>
> The following two tests I performed are symptomatic of my problem:
>
> 1. Copying approx. 400 mostly small files using Windows Explorer I get the
> following results.
>
>   FTP
>   1:22 (5 secs of this is preparation)
>
>   Samba
>   2:15 (1:00 is preparation!)

Or is it the possible samba sabotage-code from $M? The win95/98/nt tcp/ip stack
isn't one of the best around this world. A possible fix for this is the
program  ispeed.exe (www.hms.com), to fix the transferspeed on the win side.

Hope this helps,

 Hartmut

--
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Hartmut Koptein           | Debian Maintainer and Porter
Tel.: 0178-koptein (0178-5678346)                | Use Debian GNU/Linux!