Samba On The Mainframe

John Horn jhorn1 at desperate.ci.tucson.az.us
Thu Mar 1 22:58:08 GMT 2001

Hmm, well we're running Linux under VM on our mainframe and it works
quite well. I'm not sure if you're referring to operating Samba
directly under MVS or on a VM Linux machine. Actually, we have several
Linux machines running under VM as guest operating systems on our
mainframe. These Linux machines are being tested for a wide variety of
service provisions.

Under native MVS (OS/390) the environment is so foreign to the Samba
design that I have some reservations about attempting service
delivery in this way. It isn't just the compiler and library issues,
but the authentication mechanisms and a plethora of additional
concerns which make me hesitant to attempt to migrate Samba away from
an environment for which it was designed. If you haven't attempted to
operate Linux on your mainframe, I would suggest you try that before
attempting to migrate Samba to this platform.

Hope this helps.