UNIX passwd file

Bob Dusek bobd at saintjoe.edu
Tue Jan 30 14:25:28 GMT 2001

There's no way to do what you're wanting to do.  In order to do this,
you would have to be able to decrypt the unix passwd and then encrypt it
into the two forms used in the smbpasswd file.  You cannot decrypt the
unix passwd.  You have a limited set of alternatives to keep your
unix/smb passwd files in sync...

1) If your samba server is a PDC, you can have your users do a standard
"Change Password" via Windows and use the smb conf directive "unix
passwd sync"

2) you can create your own password changing server which your users
could access via a customized client or via a simple telnet interface.

???  If someone knows of another way, you may be in luck.  But, I don't
know of any other way.

Bob

--

Saint Joseph's College --  bobd at saintjoe.edu | http://www.saintjoe.edu
Administrative Computing Center, Bob Dusek...  219-866-6371

Competitive fury is not always anger.  It is the true missionary's
courage and zeal in facing the possibility that one's best may not
be enough.
                                                  -- Gene Scott