File permission

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Jan 29 14:03:06 GMT 2001

Hi Martin,
Samba has some file permission parameters in smb.conf that determine how it
will set permissions on new files (when excel and other microsoft
applications 'edit' files, they effectively
make a new file and copy the edited information into that, removing the
original file);
Take a look at the discussion "File Permissions and Attributes on MS-DOS and
Unix" on page
135 of the "Using Samba" book by O'Reilly for detailed information: the
parameters you would be interested in are 'map archive, map system, map
hidden', 'create mask, directory mask, force create mode, force directory
mode'...
You can order a hardcopy of this book (essential to any Samba administrator,
in my opinion) from amazon.com, or other online bookstores, or you can
access an html version straight off the web at this url:

http://us2.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/
<http://us2.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/>

Hope this helps,
don