The network name cannot be found......

Thomas Walter tbw at geo.hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Jan 24 20:02:03 GMT 2001

Dear Samba Gurus,

I'm having a problem with some shares. I have several shares that cannot
be mapped, I get the error message from WinNT: The network name cannot be
found. The share names are:

    /data/everest/a
    /data/everest/b

In a Samba archive someone mentioned that the share name cannot be longer
than 12 characters so I linked /data/everest/a /data/ev/a to reduce the
number of characters, made the necessary revisions to smb.conf, restarted
the daemons, see the shares in the Map Network Drive window but still get
the same error message.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Thomas Walter
Director
Spatial Analysis and Remote Sensing (SPARS) Laboratory
Geography Department
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

(212)772-5457 Office
(212)772-5268 Fax