OS/2 and smbfs in linux 2.2.16

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Jan 23 17:05:51 GMT 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 paul_fresson at uk.ibm.com wrote:

[consider not forgetting to write a subject line next time. I wouldn't
 have commented it except that there are two of you today ... so I
 invented one]

> Using linux as a client I am trying to mount an OS2 file system with
> samba 2.0.7   The linux level is 2.2.16
>
> I can run smbclient OK but 'mount -t smbfs ...' always fails with
> 'ioctl failed, res=-1'.

Look in your kernel logs, you should get something like:
  smbfs: protocols older than NT1 are not suppported

> My colleague has been using samba 2.0.6 to mount the same OS2
> file system with out a problem.

He is using a newer or older kernel version. You should upgrade to 2.2.18,
it fixes this, some problems with directory listings vs OS/2 servers and a
few other things.

/Urban