smbmount and ssl

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 3 14:00:57 GMT 2001

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Hi, I'm experiencing problem with ssl an smbmount.
> I'm using samba 2.0.7 on a Debian GNU/Linux system.
> I've recompiled the binary packages from the samba 2.0.7, and almost all
> works well (smbd, nmbd, smbclient are all ok and the connections are all
> over ssl).
> The only thing that doesn't work is smbmount, when I try to mount a
> remote service on samba with ssl I get:

smbfs does not support ssl. Why smbmount isn't connecting I don't know,
but even if it did things wouldn't work later anyway. It's possible that
smbclient has support for doing ssl but no one added that to smbmount.

Compare the do_connection functions of:
source/client/client.c		(becomes smbclient)
source/client/smbmount.c
(A quick look shows a few differences in 2.2.0-alpha1)

Or maybe smbmount needs this to start ssl (from smbclient main)
#ifdef WITH_SSL
        sslutil_init(0);
#endif

Note that this still won't give you ssl enabled access through smbfs.
Fixing that requires making smbfs know about ssl (maybe the kerneli
patches has something, http://www.kerneli.org/) and then passing any
needed extra info (encryption keys, ssl state?) from smbmount to smbfs

You could try compiling 2 versions of samba, one without ssl and pick
smbmount, smbmnt and smbumount from that. But it won't give you ssl
enabled smbfs.

/Urban