(no subject)

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Feb 27 17:11:13 GMT 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> I'm using various 2000 and 98 machines with my Redhat 7 machine.
> Everything works perfectly when I go from the Win machines to the Linux
> machine.  But, I cannot, for the life of me figure out how to mount the
> Win Shares on my linux machine!  I have tried smbmount /*/server/*/share
> (remove * my email program wants to turn it into a link) but it keeps

So fix your mail program ... if it doesn't allow you to type // it is
seriously broken!

> asking for a mountpoint.  I tried / but that doesn't work. I can connect
> if I use a smbclient command, but then I can't transfer files back and
> forth between my linux and win machines. Thanks for the help.

smbclient allows you to move files with get/put.

smbmount needs to know a little more than just the server and share. The
mountpoint is simply where on the local filesystem the remote share should
appear. Where the filesystem should be mounted.

Example:
mount -t smbfs -o username=puw,password=abc80 //server/share /mnt/smb

(depending on what you had to tell smbclient to get it to connect you may
 have to adjust that line a bit, read the smbmount manpage for details)

That command, which is simply smbmount being called by the normal mount
program, will mount the share on /mnt/smb. So you can list files on the
server using 'ls /mnt/smb', etc.

Mounting a filesystem requires you to be root. Normally you do not want to
replace any local directory such as / with a remote share, so create a new
directory and mount there.

/Urban