[homes] share and security=server

Tom freyason at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 19:35:40 GMT 2001

I previously wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am having a bit of a problem. I'm rolling out Samba to about a
> dozen Solaris machines and I want people to be able to get to their
> home directories using their regular windows logons.
>
>   I set up a user map that maps their windows id to UNIX id if they
> are different. Normal sharepoints seem to validate and work fine.
>
>  The [homes] share does not seem to work at all. When attempting to
> connect to it, it prompts for username and password.
>
>  Is there a way to have it work with this?
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>
>       Tom
>
>Entries of note in /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>
>security=server
>encrypt passwords = yes
>password server = ROSNT09, ROSNT48, ROSNT51
>username map = /local/research/samba/usermap
>
>[homes]
>    browseable = no
>    guest ok = no
>    read only = no
>    only user = yes

Duhhh! I answered my own question!
I removed "only user = yes" and it works fine now!

smb.conf says:

     only user (S)

          This is a boolean option that controls whether  connec-
          tions  with  usernames  not  in  the user= list will be
          allowed. By default this option is disabled so a client
          can supply a username to be used by the server.

          Note that this also means Samba  won't  try  to  deduce
          usernames  from  the service name. This can be annoying
          for the [homes] section. To get around this  you  could
          use  "user  =  %S" which means your "user" list will be
          just the service name, which for  home  directories  is
          the name of the user.

Funny thing is, only that user's home directory seems to come up
anyway when the user browses. Go figure!

Tom