Account not authorized to login - WHY NOT?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Dec 29 15:57:03 GMT 2001

Lance Murray wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have installed Samba successfully on a Sun Solaris 8 (Sparc box). Using the SWAT web tool I was ablt to get a smb.conf file created. If can connect directly from the Sparc box with no problems, example:
>
>   smbclient //localhost/homes
>   added interface ip=10.12.254.58 bcast=10.12.254.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>   Password:
>   Domain=[SMBWORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.2]
>   smb: \>         [at this point I can ls my home directory "/export/home/murraylk"]
>
> However, try as I might, I can't attach from my PC, example
>
>   C:\>net use g: \\ldsslcu158\homes
>   System error 1240 has occurred.
>   The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

> Does anyone have an idea what a "System error 1240 is" [W2K workstation] or why "The [my] account is not authorized to log in from this station  I use the same name & password on my W2K & Solaris box.  First CORRECT answer gets tickets for two to Jimmy Neutron movie via PayPal.

Simple:  Add 'encrypt passwords = yes' to your smb.conf and setup an
smbpasswd file.  Or try the registry hack, but thats ugly and forces
extra password prompts.  (Registry hack files included in the samba
doco)

BTW, the hosts equiv stuff didn't work because the client bails out
after the negprot, so it never even tries to authenticate.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net