Password Aging/Expiration in Samba 3?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Dec 26 21:59:02 GMT 2001

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 11:13:15PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
> > I would disagree on this one.  The smb.conf should provide default values.
> > But one stored in a Samba's tdb/ldap/whatever should take precedence.
> > This is the path of least surprise IMO and probably what the admin
> > desired.
>
> I'm not saying that default values in the smb.conf should override the
> tdb values, but an explicitly set smb.conf value should override them.
> Yes, we need a way to tell if it was default or explicit :-).

Can you give me an example of what would be an explicit setting?
I'm thinking of things like

	logon path = \\server\profile\%U

This should be a default.  And a specific setting would be
stored in the tdb as

	logon path = \\server\profile\jerry

btw...I'm adding a bit flag to the SAM_ACCOUNT struct so we can
tell which fields were initialized from the SAM and which were from
defaults in smb.conf.  This way we can have the option of only writing out
currently stored values (of course there will also be a way to force an
update).

chau, jerry