Lots of ERRbadfile and Expected SMBtrans2 responses with smbclient

Tom Murphy freyason at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 09:26:05 GMT 2001

Hi all,

   I am using Amanda and smbtar for backing up Windows machines.
However, in addition to the errors I get on open files (which is to be
expected), I am getting errors on files that should be fine to access.
Here is a snippet from the Amanda log which contains smbclient errors:

? code 0 opening remote file \ebsco-1064\cueanalysisnew.zip
(\ebsco-1064\)
? Expected SMBtrans2 response, got command 0x04
? code 0 listing \ebsco-1064\dups\*
? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file
\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\ebsco-156.txt
(\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\)
? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file
\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\ebsco-157.txt
(\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\)
? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file
\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\ebsco-46.txt
(\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\)
? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file
\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\ebsco-534.txt
(\ebsco-1064\ebsco-all\)
..

? Expected SMBtrans2 response, got command 0x2d
? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile listing \ebsco-1064\ebsco-all-xml\*

I will also get pages upon pages of this line:

? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file
\ebsco-1064\ebsco-td20\~1.XMLbiosci-40.xml?
+(\ebsco-1064\ebsco-td20\)

And also:

? ERRDOS - ERRbadfile listing \GRE\texts-secure\d.txtt\*

Is there a fix for this? My amanda logs that get e-mailed to me are 1.2
megabytes in size and filled with this kind of garbage. I don't think
it's even backing up those files.

As an aside, our older backup solution which is Sun's Solstice Backup
v5.1 and Legato Networker (running on the windows clients) comaplains
about the very same files with an "Unknown NT backup type 0x7" error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The machine in question is running Windows 2000 Pro.

Tom