File listing problem

Baty, Simon (MLIM) Simon_Baty at ml.com
Wed Dec 19 03:37:02 GMT 2001

I'm running samba version 2.0.4 and have a rather strange problem. I've
created 2000 empty files on a Windows 2000 server named:

simonsimons.20011214.17nnn

where nnn is a number between 1 and 2000.

When connecting to the sever in Unix using smbclient and doing a ls on the
directory, the smbclient just does nothing (it sits there until I break out
of it).
If I then go into dos and delete all the files, the Unix smbclient will come
back to life and return the listing, with many files displayed over and over
again (so it displays say 65000 files rather than 2000!).

Even stranger, if the I delete 600 files so there are only about 1400 files
on the W2K directory, the smbclient does return a listing, but only lists
about 500 files.
If I change the file names from simonsimons.200011214.17nnn to
simonsimonsimonsimonsimnnn (same length), the ls works fine.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it! I suspect it may
be a problem with W2K as all was fine before upgrading our NT servers to
2000.

Thanks

Simon

The information in this Internet eMail is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it
by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are
Merrill Lynch Investment Managers or any of its affiliates.

If you are not the intended recipient please contact either
Merrill Lynch Investment Managers, London, +44 (0)20 7743 3000
or Australia on +61 3 9657 3000 as appropriate.

In the United Kingdom, Merrill Lynch Investment Managers is a trading
name of Merrill Lynch Investment Managers Limited (regulated by The FSA),
registered office 33 King William Street, London EC4R 9AS.  Registered
in England No. 2020394. A subsidiary of Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.