windows XP and samba shares

Ken Cobler kcobler at coblercorp.com
Tue Dec 18 10:03:23 GMT 2001

Hello.

I'm using RedHat Linux 7.1 with Samba 2.0.7.

Though Samba acts a domain controller for the Win  '98 clients, I have
the Windows XP Professional set in workgroup mode.  When plain text
password is enabled in Windows XP, I can see the Samba shares and map
the share as a local drive.

However, when I reboot the Windows XP client, I must give the password
(Windows XP remembers the user name) to access the Samba shares.  Is
there a way of saving the passwords for the Samba shares ?  I would like
to authenticate the Windows client (type in the password at intial
logon), and  have the Samba shares mapped automatically.

I have tried saving share information under User Account administration
of the Windows XP Control Panel.  Incidentially, the username and
password are the same for the Windows XP and Samba server.

Ken Cobler