ricoh ap204/3800c

Vidiot brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Dec 17 12:39:02 GMT 2001

>  I'm wondering if anyone is using one of there printers on your unix/linux
>servers.
>I have the ap204 in house, demoing it an have coming tomorrow the ap3800c,
>they are both color lasers. using a script off of ricoh-usa.com site i
>setup the ap204 an it is not printing.
>jusdt looking for someone with a working printcap file to take a look at.
>thasnks. ifI get it to work i'm going to share it out via samba.

Funny you should ask.  Unfortunately my answer isn't going to help you.
We have the AP3800C in where I work for evaluation.  It is being pitted
against the Lexmark C910.  Our current supplier is Lexmark.  The printer
we were shipping is no longer being made.

The Lexmark series comes with a great GUI program for configuring the
print spooler, so that paper tray selection is automatic, based upon the
printer name that is configured.  You can set up all kinds of stuff
about the printer.  I had it printing under Solaris 2.5.1 in no time.

The Ricoh, on the other hand, is still sitting there.  I'm dealing with
Ricoh in order to get a configuration script that will install a filter
in order to select the paper tray, as we need two sizes to be on line
and selectable by the user, transparently.  They do not have anything that
comes with the unit for doing such a thing for Unix.  Supposidly they've
done one, but it hasn't been sent in my direction for testing/using yet.

I'll be happy to share it with you, but keep in mind that it is for Solaris,
which doesn't use the printcap file.

This printer is supposed to be about $1k less than the C910.  But, if it
is going to be a pain-in-the-ass to setup for Unix, we may not use it.

If a copy wants corporate printing business, they need to support Unix a
lot better than they do.  Not everyone in the world uses MicroCrap Windoze.

MB
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys?  Lisa: They must have
    programmed it to eliminate the competition.  Bart: You mean like
    Microsoft?  Lisa: Exactly.  [The Simpsons - 12/18/99]
Visit - URL: http://www.vidiot.com/  (Your link to Star Trek and UPN)