a very simple problem, but unknown solution

Francis Turner turner at juelich-enzyme.com
Fri Dec 14 00:57:09 GMT 2001

Benson, Paul wrote:

> In our environemt, we use PCs (NT) running a JVM that produces unique file
> names, and data content about 100K or less. We only write to these file. The
> JVM (the application) does spawn many threads so the net effect can be many
> simultaneous file creation requests from one PC.
>
> All the files are written to a samba mounted directory, and the directory
> *file* itself does get somewhat large. The directory name is MM-DD-YY so it

> changes every 24 hours.

As a work around could you create subdirectories based on some portion
of the name? e.g. the first 2 letters? That way you end up with a lot
fewer files/directory

I did this once a long time ago to solve a similar problem. Of course
you do have to have access to the applications source code to do this

Francis
--
Francis Turner, CIO Juelich Enzyme Products GmbH
http://www.juelich-enzyme.com/ +49-173-291-7278

             -- Henry J. Tillman