Printing fails in expand_file ftruncate

Alexander Lobodzinski lobo at mental.com
Mon Dec 10 11:18:02 GMT 2001

Out of a sudden printing stopped, Windows error messages ranging
from "denied access" to "unable to initialize device".

In the Samba logs were lots of messages like

../tdb/tdbutil.c:(342)  tdb(/usr/local/samba/fs/var/locks/printing.tdb):
 expand_file ftruncate to 24576 failed (Permission denied)

That printing.tdb file was length 8192, permissions 600.
Changing permissions to 666 helped (ugh!).  After Samba had
increased the file size to 24576 I changed permissions back
to 600 and printing still works, although samba is logging
"expand_file ftruncate to 8192 failed" now.

Looking through the log files I also see similar errors
regarding messages.tdb and locking.tdb from various machines but
those did not result in user complaints yet...

Anybody got some clue?  This happens with both Samba 2.2.1a
and 2.2.2 on an SGI, Irix 6.5.11m.

    Ciao, Lobo