WINS resolution with Samba 2.2.2

Ariel Mella samba at nebula-sa.com.ar
Wed Dec 5 14:34:55 GMT 2001

Joel:
you need to modify your name resolution ssystem...
pls check /etc/nsswitch.conf
check here how "hosts" are resolved and in what order, then if your samba
act as a WINS server or your NT4 is add in the host section and now you can
ping NetBios name over linux. Remeber too that if you have host:
db files nisplus nis dns wins
the resolution takes too long and if you are serving as a WINS server maybe
you colud put wins before dns or nis. configure to suite your needs.
seya!