it that a bug?

derek cout at netvigator.com
Sun Apr 8 15:00:56 GMT 2001

Help !!
       I use the linux box to get the "exported" resource from SGI IRIX
machine using nfs, then use the samba(running on linux) to share  the same
data with windows NT.

       Everything looks fine. But when  one directory on SGI machine contain
about 3800 files, when any NT computer  try to read that directory, it
freeze up the the linux PC. The usage jump to "12" when I use the command
"uptime". After for a while, it kills http, mysql, saying "VM kill the httpd
..." something like that.

       I try to do it  with the "ulimite" to give more file readings at the
same time. But it doesnot make any difference.

       My file system is "ext2" with kernel 2.2.12. I try that with kernel
2.2.17. But it's same.

       It would be fine if that directory contain less files.

       Any one know how to do ?

        Thanks.

Derek