New to SuSe Linux/Samba

Richard Gardner gard_com at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 8 05:41:32 GMT 2001

I have SuSe 7.0 newly installed, with default/networking packages installed.

It is installed on 2nd partition (Win2k on starting cyl's) and use floppy to
boot Linux.
It is a 333MHz Celeron, 128Mb Ram, 30Gb drive 1/2 for win, 1/2 for linux -
lots of room =)
I have a Kingston EtheRx KNE100TX adapter, running CAT5 to a LinkSys BSFR41
Cable/DSL router.

The only way i could get the network to run at all was with DHCP enabled.
IP's assigned are 192.168.1.100 (Linux box) and 192.168.1.101 (Win98)  I can
Ping, I can tracert.  I can even load http://192.168.1.100  in Win98 in a
browser and it returns the Linux/Localhost Index.html file.  So SOME network
level connectivity is there!

The Win98 machine is a 733 MHz PIII, 128MB RAM, 3 different drives (already
enabled for sharing w/ Win2k -which works btw) and Printer sharing enabled
also via Parallel connect to this machine.  All networking works when 2nd
machine (Linux/Win2k) is running Win2k.

Domain on both machines are set to be SAMBA, Linux hostname = SUSE, Win
hostname = WIN

Ok, so using SWAT, I enabled Samba to be running.
BRIEF view of conf file is below

What the???? why can't I get this all to work?  what more is to be done?
PLZ HELP!!
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

***** update, ok, i can now "SEE" Suse Icon under Network Neighborhood. When
i browse to "Entire Network" I see two icons, one for "Samba"  - but only
"Win" is shown as Computer Icon (this is this machine, and listed are all
shared drives and the printer), - and I see "Suse" but when I attempt to
click this NetNeigh hangs.  And when i try to click on the + symbol for
"Suse" in the Left Panel to browse then also,  NetworkNeighborhood hangs.
Mounting problem?

 # Samba config file created using SWAT
   # from localhost (127.0.0.1)
   # Date: 2001/04/07 22:13:25

   # Global parameters
   [global]
           workgroup = SAMBA
           netbios name = SAMBA
           interfaces = eth0
           security = SHARE
           map to guest = Bad User
           keepalive = 30
           os level = 2
           kernel oplocks = No

   [homes]
           comment = Heimatverzeichnis
           guest account = win
           writeable = Yes
           create mask = 0750
           guest ok = Yes

   [printers]
           comment = All Printers
           path = /tmp
           create mask = 0700
           printable = Yes
           browseable = No

Not sure any of this will help but from System Information on Win98 machine,
the following is displayed under

   Kingston EtheRx PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (DS21143)
    Net
    Alloc resources:                    	 Logical Configuration 0
    IRQ:                                       	 11 Mask: xFFFF
    IO Range:                              	 Base=xDC00 End=xDC7F Min=x0000
Max=xFFFF  Alias=xFF, Decode=x00
    Memory Address Range:      	 Base= xFC9FFC00 End= xFC9FFFFF Min=
x00000000 Max= xFFFFFFFF
    Driver:                                   	 netpptp.sys     5/11/1998
8:1 AM Size: 45120
                                                  	 ktc100.sys     6/30/1998
6:10 PM Size: 72640

   TCP/IP
    NetTrans
    Alloc resources:                    	 None
    Driver:                                   	 NDISWAN.vxd     5/11/1998
8:1 AM Size: 13011
                                                  	 vnbt.386     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 90869
                                                  	 vdhcp.386     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 66279
                                                  	 vtcp.386     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 60257
                                                  	 vip.386     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 80385
                                                  	 vtdi.386     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 5691
                                                  	 nocdev.vxd     4/17/2000
1:27 PM Size: 4689

   Client for Microsoft Networks
    NetClient
    Alloc resources:                    	 None
    Driver:                                   	 vredir.vxd     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 165437

   File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
    NetService
    Alloc resources:                    	 None
    Driver:                                   	 vserver.vxd     4/23/1999
10:22 PM Size: 112888

Richard Gardner
  "I don't have a life, I have a program"
                       --  The Doctor, 'Voyager, Stardate: 49101.3'