"noauto" option in 2.2.0?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Apr 30 10:43:16 GMT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Fred Richards wrote:

> Hello list people...
>
>  Just thought I'd ask a question.  I have samba 2.0.7 (well 2.0.8 now)
> installed, on a slackware 7.1 linux machine, and kernel 2.4.4, with
> encrypted passwords to a few windows machines.  I have the windows shares
> in /etc/fstab, set to "noauto", so they don't automatically get mounted at
> boot time.  In fact, I only want to be able to mount them as root when I
> want to.  Now I migrated to 2.2.0, manually compiling and designating the
> paths where everthing should go.  And everything worked fine.  Except for
> one thing.  When I mount a share, //tor/c, lets say on /torc, it says:
>
> smbfs: no such mount option noauto
>
>  Has the option changed for 2.2.0? I know mount needs noauto so when it

No, it has never been supported. It used to be silently ignored, I think.

Mount can be told to mount all, except certain filesystem types:
mount -a -t nosmbfs

Check if your startup scripts don't already have something like this (then
you can remove the noauto option).

I think the fix for this may need to be done in the mount tool. I think
that smbmount doesn't know if the mount is being done in "auto" mode or
not.

/Urban