"noauto" option in 2.2.0?

Fred Richards toril at twcny.rr.com
Mon Apr 30 02:12:52 GMT 2001

Hello list people...

 Just thought I'd ask a question.  I have samba 2.0.7 (well 2.0.8 now)
installed, on a slackware 7.1 linux machine, and kernel 2.4.4, with
encrypted passwords to a few windows machines.  I have the windows shares
in /etc/fstab, set to "noauto", so they don't automatically get mounted at
boot time.  In fact, I only want to be able to mount them as root when I
want to.  Now I migrated to 2.2.0, manually compiling and designating the
paths where everthing should go.  And everything worked fine.  Except for
one thing.  When I mount a share, //tor/c, lets say on /torc, it says:

smbfs: no such mount option noauto

 Has the option changed for 2.2.0? I know mount needs noauto so when it
gets the "mount -a" command at boottime, it will not automatically mount
samba shares.   I can still read the share after its mounted.  I would
like to switch to 2.2.0 but it keeps giving me this error message.  Is
there some type of compromise/fix for this?  Thanks...

--- Fred Richards