Problems with Samba 2.2.0 on RedHat 7.0

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Apr 25 00:12:48 GMT 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Wiebe, Nathan wrote:

> 	Hi, I recently installed Samba 2.2.0 on a RedHat 7.0 machine.  I
> soon started having problem mounting smb shares on other machines, from the
> upgraded machine, that used to work just fine.  I found these error messages
> in /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr 23 13:51:05 stan automount[511]: attempting to mount entry
> /misc/erssv001j
> Apr 23 13:51:05 stan automount[27924]: >> /misc/erssv001j: invalid option --

This is caused by you having smbmnt from an older samba package but
smbmount from a newer. An option named 'o' was added.

Search for executables named smbmnt and remove (rename) those that do not
answer with the correct version number.

> Apr 24 09:26:38 stan kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6

This can be caused by not having smbmount at all or not where the mount
command finds it. /sbin/mount.smbfs should be a symlink to smbmount.

> mount command line to work again? The thing that confuses me is that the log
> suggests upgrading to version 6 of mount, the current shipping version of

It's a bad message. It talks about the version of an internal data
structure.

> 	In the future it would be nice to be informed when an upgrade will
> break stuff that used to work.  When I see "A binary package for Red Hat
> Linux version 7.0 Intel is available here", and no warnings in sight, it
> makes me think I can upgrade without problems.

Where did you get the samba rpm(s) from?

RedHat splits samba into samba, samba-common, samba-client. The rpm from
the samba mirrors are not split (they weren't last I checked). Installing
rpms from different sources (without uninstalling the 'others') is an easy
way to get things mixed up, although I would expect you to get conflicts.

What does 'rpm -qa | grep samba' say?

Btw, assuming things will work after an upgrade is an interesting point of
view ... :)

/Urban