odd error between vfat and samba

Timothy Ball timball at tux.org
Tue Apr 24 19:29:31 GMT 2001

[Please Cc: timball at tux.org on replies because I'm not on the samba
list]

Setup:
Samba 2.0.7 (from debian sid), Linux 2.4.3-XFS, Window95, Windows98

Problem:
I have a linux machine that I occationally duel boot and I wanted to be
able to share my mp3s directory to my roomate via samba. I figured I'd
just make a partition vfat and have both linux and windows export that
directory... but under linux there seems to be an odd issue w/ creating
a file larger than 800K on the samba share.

Symptomps:
I've tried multiple ways of creating a file on the samba share. First
from the windows machine just copying a file larger than 400K will fail,
and throw up a dialog box that says something to the effect "No
Permission to create file check w/ sysadmin". But if I right click in
the direcotry and create a NewTextFile I can... I can even write stuff
into that file... until it gets over 800K... then it fails.

Then I mounted the samba share onto my home directory (same machine as
the one sharing it) on the linux machine. I can touch and vi files all I
want, but if I want to copy anything it just hangs until I <ctrl>-c it.

Outstanding issues:
I've tried looking in the /var/log/smb file for errors.

Conf Files:
--snip--snip--snip--smb.conf--snip--snip--snip--
[global]
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   security = server
   workgroup = 0x13F.NET
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0
   encrypt passwords = yes
   null passwords = true
   wins support = yes
   os level = 155
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = false
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   max log size = 1000
[mp3s]
    comment = Mp3s
    path = /mnt/mp3s

    guest ok = true
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
--snip--snip--snip--smb.conf--snip--snip--snip--

TIA,
timball

--
	Send mail with subject "send pgp key" for public key.
pub  1024R/CFF85605 1999-06-10 Timothy L. Ball <timball at sheergenius.com>