Install problems with RedHat 7.0 RPM for 2.2.0

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Mon Apr 23 11:09:38 GMT 2001

> Martin Sapsed wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > This is your problem.  If you compile with PAM (the RPMS are), then you
> > > have indicated that you want to use PAM.  Simply setup a correct
> > > /etc/pam.d/samba and all will be well.  The reason that encrypted
> > > passwords will fail is that they now check with PAM to see if the
> > > account is disabled.  (PAM can't handle the encrypted password, but is
> > > still in a position to say yea or nay to the user based on account
> > > status, time of day and the like).
> >
> > Sorry to be a thicko but I've never quite worked out what a "correct
> > pam.d/samba" is! We use NIS for passwd maps and whenever I've used a samba
> > RPM (built with PAM as I suspected) I get a delay during authentication
> > while PAM has a think and says nope - don't know him before the match in
> > the NIS is found. I usually end up building from source as a result. Are
> > there any repositories of pam.d/samba's for particular setups?
>
> Probably the best examples are the ones on your own system.  For
> example, what does /etc/pam.d/login say, /etc/pam.d/ssh,
> /etc/pam.d/telent and the like.  Make sure you have auth, account,
> password and session lines.
>
> On my RedHat 7.0 + errata development box, for example, I just use
> pam_stack for all services, but pam_unix has also worked in the past.

/etc/pam.d/samba can be as simple as:
auth    required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok shadow
account required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

Which is the default of a old RH system. This basicaly tells pam that
the samba connection needs authentisation and account from
pam_pwdb.so. pam_pwdb.so then checks the locale passwd datebase
(/etc/passwd), NIS or what ever is configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
I just saw, there is a /etc/pwdb.conf invoced to.

Christian