Install problems with RedHat 7.0 RPM for 2.2.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Apr 23 09:37:19 GMT 2001

Martin Sapsed wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > This is your problem.  If you compile with PAM (the RPMS are), then you
> > have indicated that you want to use PAM.  Simply setup a correct
> > /etc/pam.d/samba and all will be well.  The reason that encrypted
> > passwords will fail is that they now check with PAM to see if the
> > account is disabled.  (PAM can't handle the encrypted password, but is
> > still in a position to say yea or nay to the user based on account
> > status, time of day and the like).
>
> Sorry to be a thicko but I've never quite worked out what a "correct
> pam.d/samba" is! We use NIS for passwd maps and whenever I've used a samba
> RPM (built with PAM as I suspected) I get a delay during authentication
> while PAM has a think and says nope - don't know him before the match in
> the NIS is found. I usually end up building from source as a result. Are
> there any repositories of pam.d/samba's for particular setups?

Probably the best examples are the ones on your own system.  For
example, what does /etc/pam.d/login say, /etc/pam.d/ssh,
/etc/pam.d/telent and the like.  Make sure you have auth, account,
password and session lines.

On my RedHat 7.0 + errata development box, for example, I just use
pam_stack for all services, but pam_unix has also worked in the past.

Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au

--
Andrew Bartlett