Unable to find Master Browser

Hervey Wilson herveyw at dynamic-cast.com
Mon Apr 23 02:20:57 GMT 2001

I've just joined this list because of the above problem and I know there has
been an active thread on this recently.

I see this message every 15 minutes from my samba server following an
upgrade to 2.2.0 from 2.2.0a3 on FreeBSD 4.3.0. Prior to the upgrade I never
got these messages. Per the existing thread, the name mentioned in the
message is the name of the workgroup with the <1b> appended - it seems like
nmbd is looking for a server with the same name as the workgroup.

I have:

local master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
os level = 65

The only other machine on the network is a Windows XP Server (Beta 2). I am
not entirely sure, but it seems that the problem might start whenever the
Windows machine is booted.

Has there been a resolution for this yet ?

H.