Best Distro for Samba

McEldowney, Michael MMcEldowney at deltaregional.com
Thu Apr 19 16:09:50 GMT 2001

Here's what I can tell you.  I run Samba 2.0.7 on Redhat 7.0 with no
problems, although I do intend to upgrade both.  I can't offer any info
on other *nix's, I haven't used them.  Squid doesn't have any problems
with Samba, in fact, I use smb_auth for my squid authentications, that
way my users don't have to remember multiple usernames and passwords.
Email me off-list if you want/need help with it.  Chaining shouldn't be
a concern unless you intend to share thru the firewall.  If you do
everything on the same side of the wall, IP chains won't matter.  I use
WINS support on my Samba server, it works very well for my small (<500
node) network.  If your a large network, you may get better performance
from DNS, but that's not really an issue for this list ;)  With the
release of 2.2, your client OS's don't matter anymore.  Samba will be a
PDC for any Win machine.

Hope that helps,
 -- Mike