renaming files from w2k on samba 2.2.0

Ralph ralph at emst.de
Thu Apr 19 15:44:38 GMT 2001

Having installed samba 2.2.0 I met no problems until I tried to
rename my mp3 files from a windows 2000 workstation.
W2K always shows a preview of the marked file, no matter if it is
a picture or anything else.
So it shows the button bar of the media player (which cannot be
uninstalled), because of this the file is opened by a different
program and cannot be renamed.
Pictures or anything else can be renamed, because the whole picture
is shown in the preview.

One solution to this problem was to switch off the preview by
selecting a different folder profile or changing the html code of
the standard one. But then any folder would show some ugly
"Folder Settings" folder and "desktop.ini" files, which I do not
want.
Furthermore you have to change the settings of every simgle folder
by hand...

To my confusion the problem does not occur when you try to rename
local files.

I even tried to hexedit the \winnt\system32\webvw.dll and the
stabdard settings in \winnt\web, but it was no use.

Is there a solution for this problem?
I've been trying to solve it since 6 hours now, but nothing worked!

I even do not know how a real nt server would behave in this case...

I'm looking forward to your answers !!!

Ralph