samba 2.0.7 and windows98

Patrizia Canton cantonpa at unive.it
Mon Apr 9 10:38:23 GMT 2001

Hi all,
I installed samba 2.0.7 on a PC running Linux Debian 2.2rev2
and the kernel 2.4.3
in smb.conf I put

[global]
netbios name=pippo
security =user
workgroup=pippo
domain logons=yes
encrypt passwords=yes
wins support=yes
os level=34
domain master=yes
local master= yes
preferred master =yes
[netlogon]
comment = the domain logon service
path=/export/samba/logon
public=no
writable=no
browsable=no
 [user1]
 [user2]

I tried to connect , as user1,from a windows NT4 workstation, and it
worked
fine
when I tried to set-up the connection for a Win98 client (user2)
I was not able to connect to the server.
the Win98 client was a member of an existing windows workgroup
and before of an existing windows domain, I changed the set-up, naming the
old
workgroup with the new one "pippo"
and adding into "the client for microsoft network" the "log on to windows
domain", and calling the domain "pippo".
I changed successfully the password for the workgroup
but when I tried to change the passwd for the old domain
I did not succeded, it always complain that "the old password was wrong"
the user assured me that he gave me the correct "old password".
after many attempts I gave it up and reboot and try to connect to the
server
It does not accept the password for the domain
and it refuses to connect, then it ended up with a blu screen
and I have to reset the PC.
On the server side I have an account  for the user2 and I added
him also in the smbpasswd file using "smbpasswd -a user2".
 What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Patrizia