Memory usage in Samba 2.0.7

Scott Lawson s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk
Fri Sep 29 09:28:30 GMT 2000

Lucy,

I have run samba 2.07 on Solaris 2.6 with exactly the same perfromance
characteristics
as on Solaris 7. The version of gcc you used to compile it may be the source of
your
problems. I believe there were quite a few problems in the memory optimisation
routines
in some of the older versions of gcc. (don't quote me on that....). I would
reccommed that
you consider recompiling with the latest version of gcc which is 2.95.2. A
package of this
is readily available at http://www.sunfreeware.com

Hopefully this will fix your problem. Otherwise is there anything different
about your
 Solaris installation on this sytem? Also you state that your smb.conf is big,
how big is big?
I have about 50 shares from mine, the smb file is about 25 Kb in size so it's
not small. I have
not noticed any performance degredation at all.

Scott.