Problems with valid users and passwords

Andy Clay andyclay at downcity.net
Fri Sep 22 14:44:40 GMT 2000

This is my first posting to a list server so if my Netiquette isn't
correct please set me straight.

I've having problems understanding the use of "valid users" and how
that connects with the Aix user id's and passwords stored in
smbpasswd.

I'm trying to come up with a configuration where only the users
listed in "valid users" are given access to a certain folder without
those users being presented with a request for a password when they
try to access the folder. I cant seem to give access without either
opening up the folder  to everyone and no password is requested or
limiting to just the users I want but getting that password request.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Andy Clay
MIS Director
IDG N.E.