Printing to Win98 Printer

Peter Erickson redlamb at uswest.net
Fri Sep 22 05:50:21 GMT 2000

I have a HP Deskjet 882 connected to a PC running win98. I also have another
PC running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE/STABLE along with Samba 2.0.7 and I can't get this machine to print to the deskjet. The entry in my /etc/printcap file
looks like this:

lp|hp|Deskjet 882 :\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/local/samba/bin/smbprint:

I have also added the .conf to the spool directory listed above...

server=saturn
service=deskjet882
password=""

I still cannot get anything to print to the HP. I have also tried to use
smbclient to connect and the printer will start and as soon as the page gets
fed to the first line, it'll stop and the error light will start blinking.
Then, to get the page out, I'll hit the page feed button and it'll print the
first couple of lines and spit out the page. Trying to print using:
lpr -Php filename
put the file in the queue and all, but the printer does nothing. Any ideas on how to get this to work would be appreciated.

Thanks.