Samba 2.0.7 Bug on HP-UX 10.20

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Fri Sep 22 14:22:46 GMT 2000

    Kurt> We have a system with three shares. One is available to users
    Kurt> in the "bcs" group (many), and the other two are available to
    Kurt> users in the bcsadmin group (few).  Recently, we noticed that
    Kurt> any user on the system has full read/write access to all
    Kurt> shares.  The UNIX permissions are correct (see attached).
    Kurt> [admin]
    Kurt>  force group = bcsadmin
    Kurt>  force user = informix

I hardly consider my an expert, but my own experimentation seems to show
that once you specify "force group" and/or "force user" you need to be
explicit with your access restrictions.  I would try adding "valid
users" and "write list" for the bcsadmin group:

        valid users = @bcsadmin
        write list = @bcsadmin

This seems to be working for me.

David L. Kindred                           d.kindred at telesciences.com
Telesciences, Inc.
2000 Midlantic Drive, Suite 410            Phone: +1 856 642 4184
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054                     Fax: +1 856 866 0185