Why doesn't smbmount work?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Oct 23 22:53:01 GMT 2000

Eduardo Diaz Uriarte wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Eduardo Diaz Uriarte wrote:
> >
> > > Well, in fact, not. I have the same problem whenever I try either with 'mount -t smbfs' or 'smbmount'. And I
> > > have tried with other users, other passwords, and with and without password. No way.
> > >
> > > The only difference between 'mount' and 'smbmount' is that the error messages doesn't appear duplicated with
> > > smbmount, ie:
> > >
> > > smbmount:
> > > tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree connect.) SMB connection failed
> >
> > I don't know.
> >
> > But this looks like the win98 isn't happy with where you are coming from.
> > Is the win98 and the linux box in the same workgroup? But if smbclient
> > works then this should too ...
> >
> > /Urban
>
> Yes, they are in the same workgroup. And I think the same: if smbclient works (and nmblookup and so on...)
> why doesn't smbmount (or 'mount -t smbfs')? Don't know.
>
> Gerry Snyder told me it would be a password problem, but I don't what this means...
>
> Well, thanks, and still trying....

Are you using a 2.2 or 2.0.3x kernel?  On 2.0 kernels, you need to specify the
ip address of the computer you want to mount.

If you have 2.2, just try the ip address, just in case.  That might be your
problem...
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety