about password issues

Tom Cheung cst9809 at hkstar.com
Fri Oct 20 10:03:00 GMT 2000

Hello everyone:
    I have tried both encrypt and unencrypt method but fails to connect
from Win98 to samba server.

Mainly there is a password issue haven't solved.

There is a password problem when I list samba server resource without
specifying user name

i.e : smbclient -L ip_address

session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

Although I have tried mksmbpasswd.sh to create smbpassword in encrypt
mode.

Also when I use   '' nmblookup -M  linuxsamba "
it returns:
querying linuxsamba on 192.168.1.255
name_query failed to find name linuxsamba

Thus would anyone tell me how can I solve this problem and recommend me
a book about samba.Thanks