Unexpected disconnection and Broken Pipe error with Windows 2000 share after 20 minutes

Colin Sampaleanu colin at Bspark.com
Mon Oct 16 19:39:35 GMT 2000

I am running RedHat 6.2 with Samba, and have mounted a directory which
points to a share on a Win2k machine. Samba is set up to use 'domain'
security, and all seems ok after the share is initially mounted. I am able
to access the directory and lists files without problems.

After approximately 20 minutes though, the connection seems to internally
disconnect. I try to access the mounted directory, and get a 'Broken Pipe'
error. Second and subsequent access attempts result in an 'Input/output
error'.

If I unmount and mount the share again all is fine, until it automatically
disconnects again in ~20 minutes....

Can anybody shed any light on what could be going on. It have tried setting
SO_KEEPALIVE on the socket, which shouldn't be necessary in any case from
what I can figure out, but it makes no difference.

Click to add my contact info to your organizer:
http://my.infotriever.com/cas