[SOLVED?] write_socket_data bug

Mike Edmunds mike at gxt.com
Wed Nov 29 15:19:46 GMT 2000

Fellow sambaites,

Just wait a second now. The problems that you guys report are very
similar to the problems I saw when we implemented 2.0.6 as a PDC in a
mixed NT4.0/W9x environment: odd time-outs, apparently locking of
workstations, etc. We already have our DNS configured to do reverse
lookups and while it did help us find some DNS problems that we were
unaware of previously by examining the samba log files, it did not
resolve the problem to our satifaction. In the end we've abandoned the
PDC jazz for the time being. Note however that our DNS server does not
run on the samba server, but on another linux machine. Samba shouldn't
care where the reverse lookups are happening, should it? Am I missing
something (not being a DNS expert)?

I love this list!

Mike

 Steve McClary wrote:

> This sounds like exactly the solution to the problems I've been having
> - could someone describe the process of adding reverse DNS in simple
> terms for novices like me?
>
> Many thanks - the list has been quite helpful and I appreciate the
> gathered wisdom of all you subscribers.
>
> Steve McClary
>
> At 04:46 PM 11/28/2000 +0100, Otto Giesenfeld wrote:
>
> > I can confirm that adding reverse address lookup seems to solve the
> > problem. Since we added reverse DNS about a week ago, there has not
> > been a single write_socket_data error message in the samba logs.
> > Many thanks for this useful tip.
> >
> > Otto Giesenfeld

  Michael S. Edmunds                           GX Technology Corp.
  Center Support Manager                       5847 San Felipe, Suite
3500
  Email: mike at gxt.com                          Houston, TX 77057
  tel: 713-789-7250                            http://www.gxt.com
  fax: 713-789-7201

        "Silence! I will not tolerate your insolence!" - Dr. Evil