[SOLVED?] write_socket_data bug

Kerry Koppert k.koppert at taranaki.ac.nz
Wed Nov 29 19:47:08 GMT 2000

The process of setting up reverse DNS depends on
a) What operating system you are using
b) The DNS server you are using.
c) What range of IP addresses you want to do reverse lookups for.

Assuming a unixy type OS, Bind 8 and 192.168.0/24 then you need to edit the
/etc/named.conf file and add something along the lines of
zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa"{
        type master;
        file "rev.192.168.0";
};

The file rev.192.168.0 would then contain

@               IN      SOA     your.name.server.   root.your.name.server. (
                        2000102700 ; serial
                        10800 ; refresh
                        3600 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )
                                ; default ttl when ttl not specified
@               IN      NS      your.name.server.
@               IN      NS      your.delegating.nameserver.
@               IN      NS      your.secondary.server.
1              IN      PTR     the.machine.192.168.0.1.
etc, etc....

Under linux, linuxconf simplifies this process.