access denia with sharing ..

hentis at twilyt.com hentis at twilyt.com
Mon Nov 27 13:16:35 GMT 2000

HI all ..

I've checked out all the docs and examples I can find .. but I can't seem to find the problem I'm having.
I have a machine running samba 2.0.6 and I have a drive that I want to share.

I have added the user I'm connecting with as a user in smbpasswd
and I can connect the the server fine with username and password.
I can also see my home dir and read/write to it fine ..

I also have another share

[install]
comment = Install Directory
path = /local/install
public = yes
writable = yes
printable = no
write list = @twilyt

As you can see this is a public share with write access for group twilyt
but it does not work..

I've made changes to the effect of this ..

[install]
comment = Install Directory
path = /local/install
valid users = hsmith
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
write list = hsmith

hsmith being the user that i connect with.

I still cannot write to the share.

am I missing something very badly ?

The end result of what I need is a publicly shared drive read-only .. but writable for users in the group "twilyt"
the group twilyt does contain hsmith in /etc/group

Thanks

Henti Smith
Twilyt Productions
http://www.twilyt.com