smbd stopped working with RedHat 7.0

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Mon Nov 27 05:59:39 GMT 2000

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Bob Kline wrote:

> I've been running Samba without any problems on a RedHat system
> through several versions of RedHat, up to and including RedHat 6.2.
> After the upgrade to RedHat 7.0, which left all other services
> intact (as far as I can tell) smbd no longer works.
>
> The initial symptom was the failure of smbclient to connect to the
> SMB server; the socket read was timing out, indicating that the
> server wasn't running.
>
> One difference introduced by RedHat 7.0 is the replacement of inetd
> with xinetd, and I noticed that the conf files don't have as much
> information as the old /etc/inetd.conf did (specifically, the lines
> for datagrams didn't get translated).  So I removed all of the SMB
> stuff from xinetd control (commented out the netbios-* lines in
> /etc/services and renamed the netbios-* files in xinetd.d to hide
> them from xinetd) and tried starting smbd by hand.  This failed with
> the following error message in /var/log/samba/log.smb:
>
>  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=127.0.0.1 (Address already in use)
>
> How do I find out who's already listening on port 139?  Any other
> clues would be gratefully appreciated.  Many thanks!

I figured out what was going on.  Though RedHat neglected to mention
this in the upgrade docs for RedHat 7.0, sending a SIGHUP no longer
works to have the [x]inet daemon refresh its configuration.  You now
have to send a SIGUSR2.  Once I tumbled onto that nice little
incompatibility, it was a simple task to get things working again.

Thanks to those who (privately) reminded me about the tool lsof.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com
http://www.rksystems.com