Samba permissions (inherit permissions flag)

Ian Hogben ian at safcol.com.au
Fri Nov 24 03:26:28 GMT 2000

Hello, all:

I am having trouble with the "inherit permissions" flag on my Samba 2.0.7
(ext2 -RedHat 7) box. When a user creates a file or directory, it is created
with their ownership and group, rather than the parent's. Is there anything
special that needs to be done to get this working..?

smb.conf file:
[groups]
   comment = Group Files
   path = /home/shared/groups
   writable = yes
   guest ok = no
   inherit permissions = yes

#ls -al /home/shared/groups
total 92
drwxr-xr-x   21 ian      everyone     4096 Nov 21 11:32 .
drwxrwxr-x    9 ian      ian          4096 Nov 21 10:34 ..

After creating a file through the samba [groups] share, this is the set of
permissions:
-rwxr--r--    1 ian      ian             0 Nov 24 13:54 test.txt

And yes, other users when creating a file have their owner and group set to
themselves.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Ian Hogben | Information Support Manager | Safcol Australia
mailto:ian at safcol.com.au | fon:(08)82821082 | fax:(08)82821099
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers.
You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."
         - Naguib, Mahfouz